Wednesday, March 6, 2013

So Far in my Quest for the Best, I Have Definitely Found the Worst...

I don't have a grading system for the sauces that I'm trying and evaluating; doubt that I will. They'll most likely be graded, if you will, by pretty good, so so, average, lousy, and so on. Well, I now have the winner for the worst sauce so far. Yes, folks...
Hunt's Zesty and Spicy has all of the laurels at the bottom of the heap. Yep, this has definitely been the worst and there is no contest here. Here's my story...
I like the idea if stuff in cans. If you drop them they don't burst open throwing glass shards all over the place. Give me a can any day.
So, being in a can and being about a buck or so, Hunt's started out with two legs up. OK, what happened? I often add to the sauce: meat balls, TVP, mushrooms, olives, and so on. For the Hunt's I added a bunch of meat balls. Yes, the frozen ones advertised as Italian that I've been using for a few years. I had the pasta boiling and the sauce heating and looked forward to a great meal. Hmmm. The pasta was about ready. I took a taste of the sauce. Yuck! I don't know how to describe it, just yucky. All I know is that I wasn't going to eat it like it was. I tried some herb and spice therapy and no help. I then tried to make it spicier, you know, deaden the taste buds. Still no help. In desperation I pulled the pasta off of the stove, dumped the sauce, rinsed off the meatballs, and filled the pan with another brand of sauce. Though it was kinda frustrating, after a few more minutes I had a decent spaghetti meal.
I had thought about writing Hunt's. But, what good would that do? What are they going to do, shut down the plant and come up with a new recipe?
Oh, well. The search goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment